ICC-ES VARô Environmental Reports
ICC-ES VAR Environmental Reports differ from Environmental Product Declarations. ICC-ES VAR Environmental Reports involve ICC-ES third-party evaluation of a product or assembly to the requirements of a green building code, standard or rating system. Environmental Product Declarations are where ICC-ES independently certifies an LCA-based declaration of the environmental impact of a product using predetermined rules and procedures according to the ISO 14025 Type III environmental declaration standard.
ICC-ES VAR Environmental Reports are issued for the following types of evaluation:
- Product evaluation to green building codes such as:
- International Green Construction Code (IgCC)
- California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen)
- ASHRAE 189.1
- Product evaluation to green building rating systems and standards such as:
- U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
- Green Building Initiative's GBI-01 Green Building Assessment Protocol for Commercial Buildings Standard
- National Association of Home Builder's National Green Building Standard (ICC 700).
- Evaluation of assemblies for compliance with the provisions of the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
Products for which an ICC-ES VAR Environmental Report has been issued are allowed to display the ICC-ES SAVE Mark, which shows that the evaluated product meets the minimum environmental requirements. Once issued, ICC-ES VAR Environmental Reports are posted online in ICC-ESís Directory of Environmental Reports at www.icc-es.org/ep.
Designers, specifiers, code officials and other interested individuals can consult the Directory of Environmental Reports online to find information on products that have been issued an Environmental Report. For products that have been issued an ICC-ES Evaluation Report (ESR) on code compliance in addition to an ICC-ES VAR Environmental Report, links within the two reports allow the viewer to move instantly between the two reports. Both reports may also be found within the online tool eCodes Premium.